Over our 47 years, SPEEDWAY has always managed our business in a way that impacts the environment in a friendly, positive and thoughtful manner. Based in San Francisco, where being green has long been important, we implemented our Environmental Vision and Management Policy:
- Virtually 100% of our paper purchases are from paper companies that harvest trees from decades-old tree farms specifically planted, harvested, and replanted to provide an ongoing source of non-public paper pulp. These tree farms not only ensure a sustainable, ongoing paper supply but also assure the land they use will remain undeveloped commercially.
- We recycle tons of paper every month, especially our trim work. Because we believe it to be a very valuable effort.
- We use paper with recycled content whenever possible and encourage our customers to use recycled stock as well.
- We use biodegradable inks and toners that are recyclable.
- We use chemicals and solvents that are almost 100% water soluble, biodegradable, and recyclable. They are often more expensive, but we consider these products to be a wise investment.
- Our plate-maker is a PressTek system that uses water to etch the plates. No use of harsh photochemicals.
- We have implemented programs to reduce our electrical consumption and to minimize the use of all raw materials.
- A very important way we urge our customers to partner with us in our environmental efforts is by using our digital/Internet ordering, proofing, and reordering system. Use of our digital ordering system enables all of us to save substantial amounts of gasoline and other raw materials.